SchoolReach will be used to notify you of school cancellations, late starts, emergencies or unplanned events that cause a dismissal, and essential announcements. We will continue to report school closings, due to snow or weather, on local radio and television stations.
When used, SchoolReach will simultaneously call the numbers you identify on the attached important form. It will deliver a recorded message to you or your answering machine.
Helpful SchoolReach Tips:
The Caller ID will display 605-923-0000, the main number for Douglas School District. However, please call your child’s school number if you have questions after receiving a message.
There is a short pause at the beginning of the message, that is usually just a few seconds. Answer your phone as you normally would (“Hello”) and hold for the message to begin. Multiple “Hello’s “ will delay the message. Inform all family members, who may answer your phone, of this process.
Answering Machines/ Voice Mail:
The system will detect that your machine has answered and will play the recording to your machine. The maximum numbers of rings before a hang up is five (5). Program your machine to answer after four (4) rings or you may miss the message.
At the end of the message, you will be prompted to ‘press one (1)’ in order to hear the message again. This is very helpful when a child answers the phone and hands it to a parent, who can then ‘repeat’ the message in its entirety.
How does the system work?
- The system listens for the voice in combination with the background and line noise.
- If the system determines that it is a “live” answer, it will immediately start playing the
- If the system determines that it is a machine answer, it will wait three (3) full seconds
(with a maximum wait time of twenty (20) seconds) of silence before playing the
- If the system cannot make a determination, it will default to answering machine thus
requiring three (3) seconds of silence for the message to play. In this case, you may
hear a prompt to “Press any key to hear the message immediately.”
Some reasons for false detection:
- Loud background noise including: television, radio, and general noisy environment.
- Cordless phones that have static or other foreign noise.
- Not saying hello or delaying saying hello.
To address detection problems:
- Do not say hello more then once; if the system detects your answer incorrectly, all noise
will reset the three (3) second counter.
- After you answer, if the message does not immediately play you can cover the
mouthpiece of the phone to block all background noise. The message should play after