Military Families: Planning your move from DSD

Military parents are encouraged to connect with the School Liaison Officer (SLO) at their installation. SLOs are present on every military installation and assist families with school-aged students on educational matters such as school transitions, providing information about local school districts, graduation requirements, youth sponsorship programs, and home schooling.

SLOs can connect families with another SLO at their new military installation prior to a PCS.  You can learn more and access SLO contact information here: School Liaison Office (

Withdrawal of students

DSD maintains student records in compliance with laws in South Dakota and the federal government.

Parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to complete the student withdrawal process in person. Be sure to request an unofficial copy of the Student Educational Record prior to a PCS.

Upon receipt of the unofficial education records by a school in the receiving state, the school shall enroll and appropriately place the student based on the information provided in the unofficial records pending validation by the official records, as quickly as possible.

When military orders require a family to move prior to the end of the school year, they are expected to enroll in the receiving school if that school is in session. However, if a family is transferring to a school where school is no longer in session, it is recommended the family work with their current DSD school to make arrangements for completing course work, end of course exams, and receive final grades.