State Library Recognizes 21st Century School Libraries
Douglas’ Badger Clark Elementary Library led by teacher-librarian Kristyn LaBine and Beth Ives was awarded the state-level 21st Century School Library Award. Each year the SD State Library, a division of the SD Department of Education, recognizes school libraries as Effective, Enhanced, or Exemplary, based on performance in three areas: The Place (both physical and online learning environments), The Program, and The Professional.
Applicants conduct a self-assessment and provide artifacts and evidence of their ability to meet South Dakota's guidelines for school libraries. Award status is valid for a three-year period.
Exemplary Award recipients:
- Alcester-Hudson Elementary School Library; Librarian Nola Conner; Administrator Tim Rhead
- Alcester-Hudson Junior High/High School Library; Librarian Nola Conner; Administrator Jason Van Engen
- Belle Fourche High School Library; Librarian Karen Schlekeway; Administrator Mathew Raba
- Douglas Badger Clark Elementary School Library; Librarian Kristyn LaBine; Administrator Troy Volesky
- Rapid City West Middle School Library; Librarian Shelley Rath; Administrator Dan Conrad
- Rapid Valley Elementary School Library; Librarian Jennifer Backhaus; Administrator Cher Daniel
- Sioux Falls Discovery Elementary School Library; Librarians Angela Klopstad and Jennifer Breidenbach; Administrators Dan Fischer and Kristina Becker
- Sioux Falls RF Pettigrew Elementary School Library; Librarians Nicole Ulvestad and Jennifer Breidenbach; Administrator Kevin Dick
- West Central Middle School/High School Library; Librarian DaNann Tirrel; Administrator Eric Knight