Student Announcements: February 17 - February 22, 2020
- Attention Seniors interested in attending South Dakota State University. SDSU is hosting an Open House…
Where: Rapid City Pizza Ranch; 1556 Luna Ave.
When: Tuesday February 18th from 5-7pm.
There’s no need to RSVP, buffet is provided by SDSU-no cost to you, can come and go as you please. Families are welcome to attend as well!
- Congratulations to the DHS musicians who competed at Region 8 solo/ensemble contest Feb. 12th. Special congratulations to the competitors who received Superior ratings: Jayden Martin, Max Woroniecki, Grace Huetson, Ethan Garrido, Alex Simpson, Mya Simon, Johanna Auriemma, Nicole Ferrigno, Katlynn Lawson, Ethan Young, Kayla Maquindang, Pearl Taylor, the Melody Shop men and Patriot Blues.
- There will be a Knowledge bowl meeting for current members on Wed. Feb. 19 before school in Mrs. Schmidt's room. We will discuss the Chadron Scholastic competition and sign up for tests.
- The South Dakota Youth Trooper Academy is a week-long learning experience for junior and senior students. Students will have classroom and hands-on training in topics such as firearms safety, defensive driving, crash investigation, traffic stops, leadership, defensive tactics and criminal law. They will also get to experience demonstrations from the Highway Patrol’s special operations section such as aircraft operation, SWAT, and Police Service Dogs. The SD Youth Trooper Academy will run June 22-26, 2020. Please stop by the Counseling Office for more information. Applications are due March 22, 2020.
- Cabaret tickets are on sale! This year's shows run March 12th through the 14th. March 12th & 13th showcase the current music students, and the March 14th concert will feature nearly 50 music alumni from as far back as 1995!! Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for students. See a music student or Ms. Larson to buy your tickets today!
- Juniors. It’s time to start preparing for the South Dakota Smarter Balanced, and Science assessments! Last year’s juniors increased DHS scores by over 12% and earned the privilege of ending their school year at the same time the Seniors were finished. Would you like that same opportunity? Start planning to give the test your best effort. We need the whole class to succeed in order to earn this, and other upcoming incentives. We believe in you.
- Girls State applications are available for interested Juniors in the Counseling Office. Girls State will be held at USD from June 1-6, 2020. Girls State applications are due to the Counseling Office by February 21st at 11am. All applicants will be interviewed on March 7 at 1pm at the American Legion, 730 Briggs St.
- Boys State will be held June 1-5 at Northern State University. Application information is available for juniors in the Counseling Office. The application due date is March 18, 2020. All applicants will be interviewed on March 21 at 11am at the American Legion, 730 Briggs Street.
- Booster Club Scholarship applications are available in the Counseling Office. Applications are due April 6, 2020.
- Your debaters represented Douglas this weekend in Gillette Wyoming competing against nearly 20 schools. Congratulations to the following who made it to semi-finals in Extemporaneous speaking: Amanda Rothe, Melissa Rothe, Caleb Stewart, and Dee Wilckin. Marissa Marquez made it to finals and Hanna Hill took 2nd place. In Informative speaking, the following made it to semi-finals: Izzy Ashley, Taralyn Sipp, Nina Bivens and Payton Parker. Andrew Walters made it to semifinals in Oratory. In Poetry, Pearl Taylor placed 2nd. In Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Alex Marquez claimed the top spot placing 1st. And, for the 1st time in the history of Douglas High School debate, we closed out, and shut out the entire tournament claiming the top 4 spots in Public Forum Debate. Congratulations to Caleb Cookie and Holly Hill, and Andrew Walters and Pearl Taylor for tying for 3rd. Izzy Ashley and Marissa Marquez placed 2nd. Ashlynn Jensen and Taralyn Sipp placed 1st. Over all Douglas High School placed 2nd.
Monday- No School
Tuesday - 4:30pm GB @ STM
Wednesday- Debate @ Cheyenne, WY
Thursday- Debate @ Cheyenne, WY
3:30pm BB vs Spearfish
3:30pm GB vs Spearfish
Friday- Debate @ Cheyenne, WY
8am CH at Special Olympics
Saturday- 9am GB DHS C team Inv
10am WR @ Regions